Deadline: February 28, 2023
The IEEE Biometrics Council is pleased to announce the launch of a competition for the design of a new logo for the IEEE/IAPR International Joint Conference on Biometrics (IJCB), the flagship biometrics conference organized annually by the IEEE Biometrics Council and the IAPR Technical Committee on Biometrics (TC4). The winning design, once approved, will become the official logo of IJCB and be used in future iterations of the conference.
Eligibility: The design competition is open to anyone, but primarily targets members of the biometrics community. Individual students and researchers, but also larger teams are warmly invited to participate and submit their design proposals. Membership in the IEEE Biometrics Council is not required but is highly encouraged. To apply for (free) membership, please go to: IEEE BIOMETRICS COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP
Design Specifications and Background: The IEEE/IAPR International Joint Conference on Biometrics (IJCB) combines two major biometrics conferences, the IEEE Biometrics Theory, Applications, and Systems (BTAS) conference and the International Conference on Biometrics (ICB). The conference series has not had an official logo so far and this design competition is meant to fill this void. The logo may/should reflect biometrics in some sense, but alternative proposals will also be given full consideration.
A submission to the competition should adhere to the following specifications:
- Each submission should include:
- A color logo suitable for white backgrounds,
- A white-only version suitable for black backgrounds,
- Separate versions (as listed above) without text/taglines if applicable,
- A color favicon version in different resolutions (32×32, 128×128 and 512×512).
- The logos are expected to be clear and readable (if text is included) even when reprinted on a poster/banner or used on a website at a small scale.
- The submitted logos should be submitted in (1) a vector format (PDF, EPS, SVG and similar) for seamless and high-fidelity scaling purposes, and (2) as standard color images with transparent background, preferably in PNG format with at least 300 dpi. .
- Up to 3 variations on the logo are allowed (optional).
Submission and Deadlines: Design proposals for the competition should be sent to the IEEE Biometrics Council VPs Adam Czajka ( email@example.com) and Vitomir Štruc (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line: [IJCB Logo Design Competition]: Entry from Your Name
Submissions should include:
- A short, signed cover letter with basic information on the designer, including the name, affiliation, contact information and a statement to certify that the work is original,
- ZIP package of the designs (as specified above) or a link to a repository,
- Optional additional documentation, e.g., a design brief, style guides, justification.
- Deadline for logo submission: February 28, 2023 (11:59pm Pacific)
- Announcement of winners: March 31, 2023
Selection Procedure and Award: The evaluation of the proposals and selection of the winners will be caried out by a panel consisting of representatives of the IEEE Biometrics Council and IAPR TC4. The winning logo design will receive a commemorative plaque and prize money sponsored by IEEE Biometrics Council:
- Competition winner award: 1,000 USD
In case of a team submission, the award money will be divided equally among the team members.
Disclaimer: All elements of the logo design must be original. By submitting a proposal, the participant affirms that he/she is the sole author of the submitted work (or in the case of a team submission, that the team is its sole author) and that he/she has full and exclusive rights to grant the IEEE Biometrics Council the authorization to use the work.
If the winner is determined to have violated any rules, he/she will be required to forfeit or return the prize, even if the determination is made after the prize has been awarded.
The Council and TC4 reserve the right to not select a new official IJCB logo if none of the entries meets the expectations. The awards will be handed out in any case.